Saturday, March 24

enough

My girl Stacie just got home from a trip to Florida. Her first airplane travel toting both of the little ones along. On the way there she had more than enough hands to help "pass the baby" since she was traveling with her parents and sister. But, on the way back---flying solo. And ya know what? Her kids ROCKED! Why? Because she knows what she's doing and is one helluva ROCKIN' mom!

We spend countless hours talking about our kids. Yeah, I know. Boring to some. That's just what we do. But here's the deal. Our kids are SO damn good that when they do something just a little wrong, it seems like a big freakin' deal. It's not really---in comparison to other kids---but in comparison to their normal behavior. Whoa! Oddly enough it usually means something else is coming down the pipeline. Like sickness.

Anyway, we've talked about those kids (and families) you see on Super Nanny. If you've ever watched the show, you know what I'm talkin' about. Monsters. But why? Is it really the kids fault. I don't think so, at least not for the most part. It's the parents. Kids act the way they're taught, or allowed. And if parents don't hand out the crackdown---well, WTF do you expect?

Last night I was flipping channels on the boob tube looking for something to zone out to and found 20/20. It was a special John Stossel report called Enough and had detailed reports on the high cost of sneakers, people having bunches of kids without being married, and the one thing related to my rambling thus far, noisy kids. You really should watch this video.

In case you don't bother watching it, here's the basic story. Mom takes kids to restaurant. Kids behave badly. Really badly---climing on the walls, literally. Mom ignores the behavior. Restaurant owner lets them finish their food, then asks mom to not bring the kids to his restaurant anymore. Restaurant owner later posts a sign on the front door saying something like "Patrons of all ages eating at the restaurant should bring their quiet, indoor voices when walking through the doors". And---shocker, I know---everyone's got an opinion.

The simple fact is this parent allowed her kids to run around screaming, throwing things, climbing the walls, etc. As a parent, I'm appalled. Even if I wasn't a parent I'd be pissed as hell if I were trying to enjoy my meal and there was 'playground behavior' going on around me. Ultimately the restaurant owner took major flak from some, but also got overwhelming support from others.

So, what do you think? Is it the kids fault they behave badly, or is it the parents? And which side of the fence would you choose---supporting the restaurant owner, or never eating there again?

5 comments:

Jay said...

I think that behaviour is definitely dictated by the parents. If you allow your kids to act up, they will. The rest of the world has the right to eat in peace. I understand how the restaurant owner wants to protect his or her business by maintaining a nice ambiance. Kids need to be taught proper manners, that's all there is to it.

Nicki said...

Dude. I would TOTALLY start going out of my way to eat at that restaurant more often to show my support.

It's like people who bring their kids to the movie theater. I don't have a problem with it, but when your kid starts crying, you have exactly 8 seconds to shut it up or take it out of the movie theater.

Creative-Type Dad said...

I'm flying to that restaurant and eating there. The owners sign wasn't offensive at all.

I go out of my way to train my kid to behave in public, those crazy parents should too!!

Marni said...

I'm behind the restaurant owner 6000%. Parents need to teach their children respect... for themselves and others. I have walked out of restaurants when my children would get out of control.

Parents that let their kids run willy-nilly need to be bitch-slapped... just sayin'...

Anonymous said...

You know my opinion-if you can't control your kids then don't take them out. Period.