Friday, January 20


What a week this has been! Very long... very tiring... very little sleep.

Working from home on Monday was a total PITA. But you can read about that in the other post I made. Tuesday and Wednesday were just very long days! Lots to do and not enough time to do it all. I thought Thursday would never end between work and "service hour" commitments I have to Wesley's school. I am on the 25th Gala Auction planning committee and somehow got wrangled into procurement. After a 1.5 hour conference call with the other two procurement ladies, we are still discombobulated. I just don't understand how a school expects this much from parents... but that's another blog entry in itself. By the way, thanks to those of you who've already purchased auction raffle tickets! If you haven't purchased yours yet, email me with your order. You could win a $3,000 Disney cruise voucher! Tickets are just $10 each.

Which brings me to today. As you all know, I began working on contract at Intel in mid-November. It was supposed to be a one year contract. But, we all know what "contract" really means... we'll use you for as long as we want and that's it. Around the middle of December the shake down started. An email went out about another admin taking over my group after the first of the year and I started to panic. Every day, passing through the badge detector, I waited for that awful "beep" that comes when your badge stops working for various reasons... including deactivation. Fortunately, I haven't heard that sound come from my badge yet.

So, the holidays come and go, and still there is no more mention of what (if anything) is happening with me (the contingency worker). I start nosing around, talking to as many people as I can, and trying to make it known that I'm not ready to go yet. In fact... I would feel much better if I was offered a "permanent" position (although we all know that the word "permanent" doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things).

My manager (who lives and works from his home in Nashville) is a very, very busy man. But it was time for me to have my time. Since he was coming to our office for a mere 5 hours (to pick up a new laptop) I scheduled a one-on-one with him for this morning. Little did I know (at the time I scheduled it) there was a major re-org going on within our group! Yikes!! But, despite a very tight schedule, I was able to get 30 minutes of face-to-face time with him... and now I can say... whew! So far my contract is safe. There was mention of an attempt at permanency. My sleepless night last night will be filled with many zzzzzzzz's tonight.

Oh, next week doesn't look any better... and so goes the vicous cycle of the ratrace we call life.


Stacie said...

I guess the good thing is that you are going to work next week, eh? :)

Love ya!

Liss said...

ummm you realize it's February? Your fans are dying to know the latest in your life ;)